ONE OF THE MOST OVERLOOKED FACTORS WHEN SELLING YOUR HOME: YOU’RE NOT JUST SELLING A HOUSE, YOU’RE SELLING A LIFESTYLE
• A buyer may say they want a 4 bedroom house on 1 acres with an open concept kitchen but it’s more than that. What they really want might be space for their growing family and room to host birthday parties. A private yard for the kids to play without worrying about being on a busy road. Room for them to explore, run through sprinklers, learn how to play catch and have cookouts.
• When you’re busy getting ready to put your house up for sale, it’s so important to pay attention to and highlight the lifestyle your home creates so that you can attract the right buyers (and more of them!)
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER TO DETERMINE YOUR HOME’S LIFESTYLE:
• Think about why you bought your house in the first place and where you spend the most time. What was it about the area that attracted you to your current home? Is it in a convenient location making it easy to get to major cities, grocery stores and shopping centers? Is it walkable to downtown where you can grab coffees or ice cream?
• Which room do you spend the most time in and what do you spend most of your time doing? This might be the very reason someone else wants to buy your house so why not show it off?
• For example, do you have a huge kitchen island that attracted you to your house because of your love of entertaining? Do you spend a lot of time in there whether you’re on your laptop at the kitchen counter, having coffee with your spouse before heading off to work or pouring glasses of wine as your friends come over for game night? Then this is probably the space you really want to highlight.
HIGHLIGHTING YOUR HOME’S LIFESTYLE FEATURES:
• This is where good staging and showing prep come into play. Let’s stick with the entertainment theme and I’ll give you a few examples of how you could optimize your living space to really show that off.
• Leave out a bottle of wine and some glasses on the kitchen island. Do you have any fun bar tools you want to include such as a wine decanter or martini shaker? Have a stack of fun games nearby on a bookshelf. Put out a cheese board and some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Let buyers know they can help themselves to any of it as they relax and tour the house!
• Don’t forget to turn on some fun background music, turn on all the lights, keep the wine racks fully stocked and show off any other areas in the house that are perfect for entertaining.
• Leave notes out describing how you use certain rooms (or hire a real estate agent who knows how to market a lifestyle and they can do this for you!)
It’s all in the details when it comes to marketing a lifestyle. It’s when we go beyond the house data (square footage, room sizes, upgrades, etc.) and paint a picture of what a buyer’s life would be like there. AND, last but not least, I have a FREE guide above that breaks down how to create a lifestyle buyers want. It asks you more questions to help you determine which parts of your house we should make shine before putting put up that for sale sign!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! I’m here to serve you!